05 Oct Asparagus And Mushroom Spaghetti Squash Quiche
Asparagus And Mushroom Spaghetti Squash Quiche
In our blogpost about the importance of (or lack thereof) breakfast (Read More), we mentioned “quality” is one of the most noteworthy aspects of a meal first thing in the morning. Should you choose to eat breakfast, your success in balancing your blood sugar for sustained energy and focus is dependant on the type of food you eat. Options with higher protein and fat compared to carbs sets you up best for your health goals because of the rate at which your body digests and processes the nutrients. Protein and fat take longer to digest than carbs (especially the refined kind such as muffins, pancakes, or bagels), resulting in steady energy and decreased hunger.
This recipe is a paleo-friendly option that abides by the high protein, high fat, low carb suggestions. Better yet, the spaghetti squash resembles actual quiche crust, so you’re fueling your body and mind right! YES! 😀
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 1 hr. 10 min.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 13 oz. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds, and place, face down on, a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven, and set aside to cool.
- Remove the flesh of the squash using a fork and set aside in a bowl.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet placed over a medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are soft.
- Add the asparagus and mushrooms; continue cooking until the asparagus is starting to get soft but still crunchy (watch for the moment it starts to change color).
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, rosemary, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the “crust” of your quiche by lining a deep pie dish with the cooked spaghetti squash, pressing gently on the bottom and sides to make it even.
- Pour the egg mixture over the squash and add the asparagus and mushrooms on top of the eggs.
- Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
-Health & Wellness Coach
Photo & Recipe Inspired by: https://paleoleap.com/asparagus-mushroom-spaghetti-squash-quiche