30 Oct Jack-o-Lantern Stuffed Pepper Recipe
Posted at 21:11h in FITTEAM Recipes
Whether you need to cater a Halloween party with a healthy meal option, you’re looking for a satisfying and nutritious fuel choice before a run (Read More Here), or you just want to make your family smile at dinner tonight, these Jack-o-Lantern stuffed peppers are a win-win-win!
- 6-8 Orange bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 lb pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar fire-roasted tomatoes (14 oz), or any other kind you like, liquid drained
- 1 can of tomato sauce (14 oz) (low sugar)
- 1 cup of pre-made parboiled white rice or quinoa (or paleo cauliflower rice for Whole30 compliance)
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 3 tbs Italian seasoning (OR 1 tbs each of dried oregano, basil & parsley)
- Pinch of chili flakes (add more if you like it spicier)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Wash the peppers, and cut jack-o’-lantern faces into the peppers with a sharp paring knife, making triangle eyes and noses, and pointy-teeth smiles.
- Slice off the tops of the peppers, and scoop out the seeds and cores.
- Chop onion
- Press or mince garlic cloves
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion in a little olive oil about 5 minutes until onions are tender, then add the garlic
- In the same saucepan, add ground beef (or turkey) and pork sausage to the mix and cook everything together until the meat is browned
- Next add the fire roasted tomatoes and 14 oz can of tomato sauce to the same saucepan, and stir
- Add dry seasonings and 1 cup of either partially boiled rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice
- Partially boil (or microwave) the pepper shells in a pan/bowl with a little water for 3-4 mins – just until slightly softened
- In a baking dish, spread a little of the sauce across the bottom and set the pepper shells inside
- Spoon mixture into peppers
- Bake about 30-40 minutes at 350º F uncovered to heat through (oven times and temperatures may vary)
- Remove from dish, serve hot.
-Health & Wellness Coach
Recipe Inspired by: https://www.paleonewbie.com/tell-your-peppers-to-stuff-it/