15 Dec Hearty Winter Soup
Hearty Winter Soup
This healthy and hearty homemade soup recipe is full of Seasonal Winter veggies including kale, carrots, and butternut squash. It’s easy to make and loaded with nutrients, fiber and protein! It’s gluten free and vegan (if you don’t add chicken).
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges or 4 or 5 slices
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups or more of organic, low sodium, vegetable broth
- 4 cups kale, finely chopped (stems removed)
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 Bay leaves
- Red Pepper flakes
- Thyme and salt and pepper for seasoning
- Optional: 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roast the carrots, tomatoes, onion, squash, garlic:
Grease baking pan with olive oil.
Place carrots, squash, tomatoes, onion, and garlic on the baking sheet
Coat veggies with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast vegetables about 45 minutes, stirring once or twice, until they are cooked through and nicely browned.
- Further cut the squash and carrots:
Remove the roasted squash and carrots from the pan to a cutting board.
Cut into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Purée the roasted garlic, tomatoes, onions:
Remove the roasted garlic from their peelings and place in a food processor.
Add the roasted tomatoes and onions.
Pulse in the processor until almost smooth.
- Start Soup:
Add broth and the puréed vegetables to a large pot.
Pour in the quinoa.
Add 1 teaspoon salt, 2 bay leaves and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
Cook for 25 minutes, then remove the lid and add the beans and the chopped greens. Continue simmering for 5 minutes or more, until the greens have softened to your liking.
- Add the chopped kale and thyme to the pot.
Simmer uncovered until the kale is tender.
- Add roasted carrots, squash:
Add the roasted carrots and squash to the soup.
Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes and add more broth or water to the soup if it needs thinning.
- Remove Bay Leaves
- Add cooked, shredded chicken if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper.
-Health & Wellness Coach