21 Oct Chai Spice Energy Balls Recipe
I remember my first trip to Starbucks. I was under the impression I was about to try my first cup of coffee, but low and behold, my best friend was going to play a little trick on me.
I now consider myself an avid coffee connoisseur, I love the flavor, aroma, and (obviously) energy boost I get from it, but the way it came about was more by chance. When my girlfriend and I first went up to the cashier at Starbucks, I trusted her to order for me. She had been partaking in the beverage (coffee) for years, so I figured she knew what she was doing and what I would like.
She ordered two, Iced Chai Tea Lattes. That didn’t sound like a normal coffee order, but what did I know?! Apprehensive, yet excited, I took my first sip. For some reason, I really wanted to like coffee, so I tried it.
I was instantly hooked!Come to find, there was ZERO coffee in that drink. It was the flavors and deliciousness of Chai Tea! So, while I’m still a huge coffee fan, there’s something nostalgic and comforting in thinking back to my first taste of chai, too! The spices truly dance around on your taste buds, and if you’ve never had it in a drink, this recipe allows you to have it in a different form of energy, convenient, on-the-go snack balls!
Servings: Makes 18-20 Balls, 1 Ball = 1 Serving
Homemade Chai Spice Blend:
Either 2-3 tsp (depending how much SPICE you like. I used 3 tsp.) of pre-made Chai Spice blend, or make your own with the following:
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cups raw, gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 serving FITTEAM LEAN
- ½ cup creamy natural nut or seed butter (I like either almond or walnut butter. I find peanut butter overpowers the flavor of the Chai, even though I LOVE peanut butter 😉 )
- ⅓ cup honey or agave
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 TBS raw cacao nibs (or mini chocolate chips)
- In a large bowl combine oats, chai spice blend, LEAN, and cacao nibs/ mini chocolate chips..
- Add in nut butter, honey or agave, and vanilla extract. Use sturdy mixing utensil to combine. *Note: If ingredients aren’t combining well and are too dry, try adding a little bit of liquid (either water or a non-dairy milk) and possibly some more honey/agave until you reach a consistency that will be good for forming balls once chilled. This means it can be slightly on the dry side as long as it clumps together relatively easily.*
- Once ingredients have come together, chill in either the freezer for about 10 minutes (or the fridge for 20 mins). This will help with forming balls.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop mixture into rounded balls and roll between palms to shape. (Make them a size to where you get roughly 18-20 balls.
- Enjoy with your morning coffee or Chai Latte!
Certified Wellness Coach