14 Mar Exercise – Tips for Getting Started
Many people have come to understand the positive impact physical activity and exercise can have on their lives, yet many often struggle with getting started. Incorporating exercise into your daily life and routine can be an intimidating process. However, it doesn’t have to be! Below you will find 5 tips designed for those just beginning their fitness journey to a healthier happier life.
- Identify your “why”, “what” and “how” so you can be clear about your goals. It is best to write them down (goals), so you give yourself accountability.  This will help you become prepared mentally while at the same time forming a plan of action. Amelia DiDomenico@amrosefitness says“Once you know the why, what, and how, the mindset is – just do it.”
- Pace yourself and set reasonable expectations. Start by looking for chances to be more active during your day, such as taking stairs over the elevator.  Or start by scheduling 30-minute workouts 3 times a week . Before you know it, you’ll be conquering your exercise goals.
- Consistency is key. Turning your physical activity into a habit can help in maintaining your exercise routine long term . You can start to form this habit by working out at the same time every day or making a schedule that you can stick with. “Remember that it takes time and consistency to build your body, but one workout can put you in a better mood.” – Valerie Waters
- Make it fun, do workouts you actually like. If you’re not sure how to make a workout fun or how to find one you will like, here are some suggestions provided by heart.org:
- Develop a repertoire of several activities that you can enjoy. That way exercise will never seem boring our routine.
- Ask family or friends to join you are more likely to stick with it if you have company. Or join an exercise group, health club or community center. Many churches and senior centers offer exercise programs too. (Remember to get your doctor’s permission first.)
- Use variety to keep your interest up. Walk one day, swim the next, then go for a bike ride on the weekend.
- Use music or audio books to keep you entertained.
- It is important to tack your personal success and not compare yourself to people who are further along in their fitness journey. Success is the ultimate motivator so be sure to keep a record of your activities. Staying focused on your personal success rather than those around you will allow for self-improvement and the ability to reach milestones you never thought possible. Franci Cohen, Founder, and CEO of Spirderbands @francifit reminds us “Be willing to look silly and make mistakes without judging yourself. Keep trying, and with every workout, you’ll get better and better. Remember, the goal is progress, not perfection. And in a group environment, don’t compare yourself to anyone else in the room. While others may move seamlessly and appear to have superhuman strength, remember that they were once beginners too. Don’t compare your chapter one to someone else’s chapter eleven.”
Looking to start or add a new workout to your routine? FITTEAM Global provides a live 30-minute workout every Monday, Wednesday and Friday which are perfect for any level of fitness. You can tune into these workouts on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/fitteamglobal/
Interested in reading more about these tips and many others? Check out the articles below for a more detailed look into how you can get started on your fitness journey. Sources:
- 18 Fitness Tips These Trainers Always Give Their Beginner Clients:https://www.self.com/story/fitness-tips-trainers-give-beginner-clients
- Getting Started – Tips for Long-term Exercise Success: https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/getting-active/getting-started—tips-for-long-term-exercise-success
- How to Start Exercising” A Beginner’s Guide to Working Out: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-start-exercising#section3