20 Nov Importance of Self-care
During the holidays we are reminded of all the things we love and are grateful for. However, we tend to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of those around us, which leads to a lack in our self-care. If we are really being honest for most of us self-care tends to be the last thing on the list throughout the year. Whether it is your work, family or friends something always tends to come first, but should it? Self-care can be defined by the following “the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.” Basically, how well you treat yourself.
Self-care is not to be confused with being selfish but rather treating yourself with respect. Self-care is important for so many reasons such as:
- Helps in managing stress.
- Reminds you of your worth, self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Leads to better physical and mental health.
- Helps in maintaining healthy relationships.
- Helps in creating a work life balance.
- Makes you a better caregiver.
Everyone may understand the importance of self-care, but few know how to truly implement it. Let’s take a look at the easiest ways to start practicing self-care today.
- Be mindful of you schedule, learn to say no and don’t over commit yourself.
- Take care of your body. Try to do some form, of physical activity every day.
- Do something that makes you smile.
- Practice gratitude
- Do something new.
- Practice meditation, or if you’re not ready for meditation practice taking deep breathing throughout the day this will allow you to refocus.
- Play your favorite song, indulge in some music maybe even dancing.
- De-clutter your home, your car or anything that can cause you stress.
- Lastly and probably the most important get some sleep.
Investing in yourself is one of the best things you can do. What better time to start than now, during one of the most stressful times of the year. FITTEAM encourages you to put your health and well-being first!